Welcome!

Here you will find stories that will make you laugh and cry. Hopefully articles thta will make cause you to think and articles that will inspire you to comment. I welcome them all... We learn from each other. Grab your favorite hot beverage, sit back, put your feet up... and lets chat together or let me tell you a story...

About Me

My photo
First and foremost, I am a fervent follower of Jesus Christ. I have been honing the gift of writing that He has instilled within me. I love to share my faith and encourage other believers of their inheritance and future in Christ. I am a happy mother of two and a blessed grandmother of seven and a contented wife of one... I do not know the word can't. I can thank both my heavenly Father and earthly father for that one. At 5o years of age I learned to ski, at 53 I learned to skate and at 54 years of age I graduated College with a degree in Vocational Ministry. I love walking for the joy of enjoying the beauty of nature. I write devotionals, fictional stories and am gearing up to write non-fiction for both, in the near future. My passion is Jesus, writing and reading in that order. I hope you enjoy the hubs. You can also find me on The Hub Pages: http://ulrikegrace.hubpages.com

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Feelings


 

“Your Feelings are just that – your Feelings.

They are neither right nor wrong.

They are JUST Feelings!”

 

            The statement above is what I shared with a friend recently. Ever since then I have been thinking about what I said. It didn't take me long to realize that I myself had to pay attention to what I had said. These are the resulting thoughts and reflections from these ruminations.

Feelings do not have to be justified or apologised for but they do have to be examined.

Feelings are signs, like pain is a sign regarding health; feelings are for emotional health.

Feelings do NOT change anything but are an indicator of my attitude, my emotional and/or spiritual health.

Just like anything else about me; God gave me my feelings. They were built into me by God (Psalm 139). Therefore, feelings are a good gift (James 1:7). However, feelings are NOT God. Feelings are NOT to rule. Feelings are clues, indicators, and a warning system. I should, in fact must pay attention to them yet i do NOT have to blindly obey them. Deal with them, yes. Discern their message, absolutely. Then act in an appropriate godly manner.

             Sometimes I “feel” like having a chocolate. That doesn’t mean I have to act on that feeling. Sometimes I “feel” like crying, or hiding, again that doesn’t mean I have to act on that feeling. What I do need to do is back-up and find out why the feeling has come to the surface. But I also must guard against letting the “feeling” rule. One important thing – don’t ignore the feeling. Carefully discern the “sign.” What is sending the feeling and why. Deal with them.

Feelings may be initiated from my natural self as well as my godly spirit.

Feelings may be a reaction to the sense or activity about me or in me.
 
Here is an example of the piling up nature of feelings:

Feelings are like the variety of paper that I get on a daily basis. If I didn’t deal with the paper as it comes in and just let it pile up then very soon I’d be overwhelmed with paper. However, if I examine it as it comes in I would discover that some I can just throw away; it’s only advertisement, I don't have to do anything with it! Some paper is more interesting but I still don’t have to do anything with it but enjoy the story or information. Some paper I had better follow through with a response or I will have to deal with consequences.
If I deal with the paper – a sheet at a time AS it comes in it will NOT add to or become an overwhelming pressure. If let the paper build up, the pile of paper becomes an overwhelming and intimidating mountain of work!

            I realized through all of this ruminating on Feelings that I am "feeling" driven. It’s a must to pay attention to feelings but NOT be driven by them. Sometimes feelings are a pressure release. It’s okay to let them come; but discover what the “pressure” is.
 
Crying at a funeral because of grief is good – healthy – let the crying do its work.
Crying at a wedding because of joy is good – healthy – a sign of joyful connection.
 
However – crying in the middle of the day – for a “seemingly” no good reason is an indicator of an issue. Discover the issue and the deal with the issue. Do not push down the tears. They are the safe symptom that something is wrong. Investigate, ask questions of your tears, go sleuthing, and if you can’t discover the answer…find someone who will help you in the discovery. There is healing in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment